Write Landon a Letter

landon.aldana@myldsmail.net

Address:
Elder Landon Aldana
741 Plummer Road (appt 1503)
Hunstville Al, 35806

Monday, August 31, 2015

I'm really glad that y'all liked the pictures I sent home, I’ll have to see if I can’t take a few videos every now and then. they took me a little bit to take but I’ve been trying to take a few more pictures over the next little bit, to answer moms question about how big our branch is and about how many people come to church. sooo... as far as Adults last week we had 9 but we had about 8 kids under the age of 8 so we had a few people, we average about 14 adults and like 5 kids every week, so were pretty small haha. I’m pretty sure were the smallest in the mission, so can’t get any smaller haha. But we do really good, I don't think anything is going to happen to this branch. Everyone has like 3 callings, haha.

Camden is doing really good, the other day we started heading to a place in our area called oak hill. As we were heading up there we were able to find a few roads that I haven't ever been down so we were able to go a talk to few people that we haven't met before. We had a good time going out to the boonies and talking with some good ol country folks. It’s always super fun talking with some good county folks. I just wish y'all could hear some people talk out here. When you talk with people it just gets better over time.

I don't really know what all is new in Camden, everything is about the same.. Nothing to crazy is happening. It’s still a little bit hot but the cold air is starting to come it so now it’s getting nice. If you’re in the shade the weather is not too bad but it’s still pretty hot if the sun is on you. but it’s nothing like it was a few months ago, now it’s just like 90s and such, nothing to even sweet about...... sort of.

I guess like just the culture of the mission down here has really stood out to me this last week. I don't think it’s a surprise to anyone that every mission is different and down here I think one of the biggest differences is just how we as missionary's have to teach and learn the scriptures. Alabama being I would dare say probably the biggest religious state in the US, has all sorts of church's and religions. Not just Christian, I’ve met Muslims, Buddhist, Humanistic, and Atheist. 

I’ll be the first to tell you, people down here will tell you straight up you're wrong to your face, and then start to try and prove they're right. I don't know but like I’ve really started to know the scriptures way more than I have before and a few times people will always say about the same things. A big thing down here is the trinity, people always bring that up in conversation and basic doctrine. When you talk with these people most of the time they just answer there question themselves if you just talk about the restoration or the atonement.

Now down here in the south we get a TON of people that know a lot about the church. I’ve met people I bet know way more about the church than I do and way more about the Bible than I do. These people tear into the church, I could give you more church anti about Joseph Smith, our beliefs and what past prophets have said. It’s very convincing; these people have spent their lives trying to drag people away from the church.

As I study the scriptures there's always something you find when you read them. The Book of Mormon brings the spirit, I’ve felt it, and know it does. And if the Book of Mormon brings the spirit, nothing else matters. It doesn't matter what all has happened in the past, or what people have found out about the church we don't have answers on. All that matters is that the church that Jesus Christ started is back and it’s true. 
Bible bashing gets you nowhere. Trust me, I’ve seen it, it doesn't ever work. Keep faith in the scriptures, something I love out here we use is. Question the church? Yes. Doubt the church? NO. Always be leaning into the church, but don't just follow blindly. I love this place, I’ve learn sooo much about the gospel of Jesus Christ and I’m just starting.

 I Love Y'all!!

Elder Landon Aldana

No comments:

Post a Comment