Write Landon a Letter

landon.aldana@myldsmail.net

Address:
Elder Landon Aldana
741 Plummer Road (appt 1503)
Hunstville Al, 35806

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

there’s always lessons to be learned

The brownies made it!!!! They made it here. And the heat didn't even get them.... I think. They were super good. They had got like frozen/cooked so they were almost like a brownies flavored candy bar. But they were super good. Thanks so much for them!

Well I guess a little bit about Elder Whetton, I like him a lot. He’s from a place called snowflake, in Arizona. He’s 6'4 and has been out like 20.. months. He’s a super hard worker. This week was a really good week to be with him. On Sunday we had a farewell for a boy named J.P. he’s going to Brazil on his mission and he leaves tomorrow, were super excited for him and I know he’s doing to do really good. He’s way more prepared then I was leaving, so I’m super excited to see how his mission goes.

Its super weird being here with him, I was here when he put in his papers, got his call, and now him leaving. its super weird, it’s really made me think about how I was when I was leaving for my mission, not really knowing what I was getting into, trying my best to get ready for something that I wasn't really sure how to prepare for. Scared but excited for the future and what was to come. I’ve really noticed a change for the first time this last week from how I was when I left till now.

2 weeks ago it was a really hard week on me. Camden has been a really hard place to work at and for a long time we were working hard and trying to stay motivated but I was super down on the area, then this week they our Assistants to the President called everyone and asked if we would be down to do a 70 hour week. (or just to proselyte for 70 hours in a week.), we decided that it would not be the best thing to do down here so we didn't do it but we still had to go on some conference calls about the 70 hour week.

At the start of the week I was kind of just like whatever, who cares, this is stupid we have to listen to this crap late right before bed late at night. I was also just kind of mad about not understanding the gospel and such and just like was not in a good attitude for the week to come, but the week went on. We went out, worked hard and had our weekly meetings as always. I and Elder Whetton talked as usual but never about how we could best work here.

Last night, Elder Whetton and I were walking to try and visit someone. When we started talking about how we could improve our time here in the area. And he was saying we should start filling out this paper called a progress report because we haven't filled one out in.... a year down here. There just hasn't been anything new to report on. I was Angry, like thinking to myself "what a stupid idea... he’s got no idea what he’s doing and stuff" and the night went on and we switched subject and had a good rest of the night.

When we got home we listened to the last half of the 70 week conference call that we did not participate in. Lying in bed just letting my emotions build up and just getting madder and madder why we had to listen to a bunch of stuff we were not even involved in. After we finished listening to how good the week went and we were going to have a Alabama Birmingham Mission Family prayer to end the night I started to think.

Why am I mad? Why am I angry about a great thing? Why did I ask for help from Elder Whetton then reject any ideas and think bad of him?
Why was I so selfish? My mission had turned in the last 2 weeks from the people, to ME. And I knew it.

I couldn't help but think about Peter denying knowing Jesus 3 times. I had recognized my mistake and begged my father in heaven to forgive my mistake. I felt like totally trash, I couldn't do anything, I just prayed that Elder Whetton could forgive my stubbornness. We might not be baptizing down here in Camden, or even teaching others, but there’s always lessons to be learned

I love y'all so much,

Elder Landon Aldana

No comments:

Post a Comment